Facts and Statistics
General information of the Reformed Church in Hungary in figures
In Hungary, 1.15 million people claimed a Reformed religious affiliation in the 2011 Census.
Of this 1.15 million, 600,000 are active members of a Reformed congregation.
According to the 2011 Census, the RCH is the second largest denomination in Hungary after the Roman Catholic Church.
There are 2.5 million Reformed Hungarians living in Hungary’s seven neighbouring countries (the so-called Carpathian Basin) as well as the diaspora into Western Europe, North America and Australia.
The Reformed Church in Hungary (RCH) has 1,249 congregations divided into 27 presbyteries, belonging to 4 districts.
The RCH has 7,500 employees, of which 1,550 are ministers.
The RCH operates 129 educational institutions from kindergarten to university level, including 4 theological seminaries (Debrecen, Budapest, Sárospatak, Pápa) and a hospital.
The RCH has around 390 Reformed diaconal services, serving 22,800 people in need.
The current Presidium of the General Synod of the Reformed Church in Hungary:
Dr. Gusztáv Bölcskei - Presiding Bishop of the General Synod of the RCH
Dr. Pál Huszár - Lay President of the General Synod of the RCH
Click here if you are interested in twinning.
Reformed Church in Hungary
Abonyi utca 21
PO Box: 1140-Budapest, 70, Pf. 5
Phone: + 36 1 460 0708
English and German worship services in Budapest
Outside Hungary, the largest Reformed community lives under the guardianship of the Reformed Church in Romania. The work done in its two districts is harmonized by a joint synod. Their joint minister education and training takes place at the Protestant Theological Institute based in Kolozsvár (Cluj). After the Treaty of Trianon, the development of the two Reformed districts diverged. The state recognition of the existing Transylvanian Reformed Church District was not problematic: minister training in Kolozsvár continued and work in educational institutions – though under stricter state control and supervision - resumed. The situation of the newly-formed Királyhágómellék Reformed Church District - along the Hungarian border - was much worse. The process of legal recognition was considerably hindered by the fact that its congregations had formerly belonged to the Transtibiscan Church District based in Debrecen. Two decades of uncertainty drew a considerable amount of energy from congregation-building and Church-run education.
The Reformed Church in Sub-Carpathia is the oldest Protestant Church in Ukraine. It was founded in 1921, when the Sub-Carpathian region became a part of the Czech-Slovak Republic. During the Soviet era, the Church lost its legal status and many church-owned properties were seized and privatized. The structure of the Church did not exist, atheist propaganda was promoted and many pastors were deported. Eventually, the fall of the Soviet Union brought relief, and with the help of Church sponsors, schools and churches were re-opened. The Reformed Church in Sub-Carpathia currently has 120-140,000 members, most ethnic Hungarians, in nearly 100 parishes. It is organized into three Presbyteries: the Beregi, Ugocsai and Ungi Presbyteries. It is a constituting member of the Hungarian Reformed Church, which was established in May 2009 and consists of Hungarian-speaking reformed communities in the Carpathian Basin. It is also a member church of the World Communion of Reformed Churches.
Workers of the Reformed Deaf Mission reach out to hearing impaired Reformed people all around the country, cooperating with local congregations to integrate these disabled people into the life of the community.
Telephone and Skype Counselling